The World Top 10 Strongest Passports in 2022
Do you want to know about the top 10 strongest passports in the world? Here you will know every reason in detail.
The Henley Passport Index is the first and most authoritative assessment of all passports in the world, based on the number of countries to which its holders may travel without a visa.
The “best passports” are graded by the number of countries to which passport holders get visa-free entry. Canada and the United States both made the top 10 list for best passports to hold in 2022.
Afghanistan, like in previous years, receives the lowest score, making it the world’s least powerful passport. Afghan passport holders are only allowed to travel to 26 countries without a visa. Iraq (28), Syria (29), Pakistan (31) and Yemen (33) are also among the lowest-ranking countries.
Let’s focus on the types of score & rankings.
Types of scores
- Visa-free score: The Passport Index ranks passports based on a “total visa-free score,” which assigns passports a point for each country their holders can visit without a visa, with a visa on arrival or by obtaining electronic travel authorization (ETA). The country with the highest visa-free score has the most powerful passport ranking.
- Welcoming Score: The Passport Index awards one point to each country’s passport which allows its bearer to enter visa-free or with visa on arrival. The country with the highest welcoming score is the most welcoming country in the world.
- World Openness Score: The World Openness Score is a measure that reflects the travel openness between countries. It has grown from 17,904 to 18,680 between 2015 and August 2017. On 21 November 2018 it had reached 20,189.
- Global Mobility Score: The Global Mobility Score is a benchmark that shows an individual’s level of freedom of global mobility reflecting one or more passports in their possession. Higher scores reflect increased freedom of mobility.
Types of ranking
- Global Passport Power Rank: World’s passports are ranked by their total visa-free score. Countries that share equal visa-free scores are sorted by the number of visa-free countries portion of that score.
- Individual Passport Power Rank: Data from the latest UN Human Development Index is used to further break the ties and order the countries in unique ranks.
- Filtered Rank: The Passport Index ranks passports based on their individual characteristics within the context of people’s interests. Individuals can now filter by continent, region, industry and many more.
- Welcoming Countries Rank: The Passport Index ranks countries by how welcoming they are to other nationalities.
The best passports to hold in July 2022 are:
1. Japan (193 destinations)
2. Singapore, South Korea (192 destinations)
3. Germany, Spain (190 destinations)
Germany and Spain’s passports have been considered Europe’s most powerful ones, according to the Henley Passport Index.
As of July 2022, Spanish citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 190 (of 193 as the maximum) countries and territories, ranking the ordinary Spanish passport 3rd in terms of travel freedom according to the Henley Passport Index 2022/Q3.
The 2018 edition ranked Spain’s passport as the third best in the world as it provides visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 187 countries, more than that of international heavyweights like the UK, US and China. Spain shared third place with Finland, France, Italy, Sweden and South Korea.
4. Finland, Italy, Luxembourg (189 destinations)
Italian citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 189 countries and territories, ranking the Italian passport 3rd in terms of travel freedom (tied with Spain, Luxembourg and Finland) according to the Henley Passport Index.
In 2018, Finnish citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 187 countries and territories, ranking the Finnish passport third in the world (tied with Danish, French, Italian, South Korean, Spanish and Swedish passports) according to the Henley Passport Index.
5. Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden (188 destinations)
6. France, Ireland, Portugal, United Kingdom (187 destinations)
The UK citizens can, for now, travel to 183 countries, whether visa-free or wish an e-visa or a visa-on-arrival.
French passport rank #6 as the most useful in the world along with the ones from Sweden or Noway. The mobility score is 170 (visa-free countries). French passport holders can visit 151 countries visa-free and 19 countries offer visas on arrival.
The Portugal passport is one of the most powerful and most desirable passports in the world. It provides its holders visa-free access to more than 190 countries and territories.
7. Belgium, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, United States (186 destinations)
Belgian citizens had visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 187 countries and territories, ranking the Belgian passport 7th in the world according to the Henley Passport Index.
For each travel destination, if no visa is required, then a score of 1 is allocated for that passport. New Zealand has dropped one place since 2021 to sit at joint seventh place alongside Belgium, Norway, Switzerland and the United States, having visa-free access to 186 countries.
The U.S. passport brings many benefits that are seen distinctly by different eligible LPRs: Green Card holders go through separate lines from U.S. passport holders when crossing U.S. borders and can suffer more scrutiny in that moment
8. Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Greece, Malta (185 destinations)
9. Hungary (183 destinations)
10. Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia (182 destinations)
Poland is a significantly larger country than Lithuania. It’s a deeply religious country and many religious holidays are recognized. Poland is a bit more affordable than Lithuania and you can easily find affordable food and accommodation throughout the country. Poland has a lot to offer visitors.
Slovak citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 182 countries and territories, ranking the Slovak passport 10th in terms of travel freedom (tied with Australian and Lithuanian passports) according to the Henley Passport Index.
World’s 10 least passports in 2022
Some of the least passports are:
7. Nepal, Palestinian Territory
8. North Korea
9. Bangladesh, Kosovo, Libya
10. DR Congo, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Sudan
According to our article, all top 10 countries are best to explore from the perspective of tour, studies & business. But according to most writers, United State is one of the best location where you guys will enjoy the business.
gateioMarch 7, 2023
I have read your article carefully and I agree with you very much. So, do you allow me to do this? I want to share your article link to my website: gateio